Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Peace and Quiet.....finally!

I have mentioned in past blogs that Madeline is not too keen on napping. She desperately needs them and has the potential to make everyone around her wish she had taken her naps. Today started out lovely with her eating her 7 AM bottle, and she then ate again at 9:30 AM. Lots of cooing, giggling, smiling, and talking this morning. As I said a very lovely start to my day. I put her in her carseat in hopes that she would doze off by 10 AM while I got ready to go to the gym. She did, so I did a few things around the house before I left for the gym in hopes that she'd be good and asleep by the time we got there. The ladies at the gym are pretty good about finding a quiet spot to put her in when she's sacked out upon arrival. Unfortunately, she was wide awake by the time I got to the gym, but a little catnap is better than nothing. They fed her the lunch bottle I packed in her bag, and she fell asleep on the way home. I brought her into the house and found a nice quiet spot to put her strapped in the carseat and all. I went about my business. Of course when I checked on her, she was wide eyed, but still sleepy, so I transferred her to the swing. The swing never fails when she's groggy. Oh, never say never! She played and fussed and fussed louder and fussed extremely loud and fought sleep like nobody's business. I then realized that it was close to 3 PM, and since she was asleep when I brought her home, she didn't have her bowl of rice cereal at lunch, so I thought, "Duh, she's tired AND hungry that's why she's fussing so badly. She's used to having a bottle and a little bowl of cereal." Silly me, I made a bottle and tried to feed her....I did nothing out of the ordinary! We were on our normal schedule with the exception of not having the cereal at lunch, but seriously, that can't be what caused the following events! Oh, the screaming, arched back, stiff legged, red faced little demon took over Madeline's body. I gave her a minute to settle down, but the awfulness continued. I changed her diaper and tried one more time to feed her. This really made her mad, so I kissed her hot, angry cheek, placed her in her crib, and walked out. I hadn't showered from the gym yet, so I took this opportunity to shower. I checked on her after my shower, and she's fast asleep. I'm not sure what her behavior was all about today, but I feel victorious in the sense that I did not get sucked into trying to comfort her when clearly there was nothing I could do for her. I tried to meet any needs that could've been unmet, and I was met with an angry baby. So, I simply put her down in a safe place and went about my business. I know this won't be the last time something like this happens, but I am happy to know that I can calmly handle a fit of that nature without fretting about it. As I told my husband later, she was the unhappy one, not me. Now, I have some peace and quiet to pack for our trip to Greenville tomorrow (and of course, create this blog entry).

No comments: