Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, June 07, 2010

Whoops!!!

It's never good when I title a blog "whoops"! So here goes....Madeline's nap time today has been trying to say the least. It's my fault. My guess is that I let her get overtired, and she was refusing to go down for a nap today. When I say refusing, please translate this to mean Madeline full blown screaming at the top of her lungs, jumping up and down on her mattress, yelling "Mommy!", and flailing herself into the crib rails. Serious temper tantrum.

I followed our normal routine, put her in the bed, and left the room. I figured she'd use her last bit of energy in this tantrum, and her little body would just fall asleep. Not the case today. After 10 minutes, I went to peek into her room, and I saw the bunny lovey on the floor. I think to myself, "OK, here's the problem. Surely after I give her the bunny back, she'll lay down, and go to sleep." Wishful thinking! The whole process started all over again. I let her work it out, and peek back in about 15 minutes. Bunny on the floor AGAIN. Okay, this Mommy started to feel her blood pressure rising. Return the bunny to screaming child vowing to myself that I'm not going back. If she loses it again, too bad. This is ridiculous, and I'm not playing the bunny on the floor game nor am I starting bunny lovey rescue at nap time. More screaming, "Mommy!" Seriously, child, this has got to stop. I give her a few more minutes and peek back into the room. Bunny on the floor for the THIRD TIME! I stick to my guns. I'm not giving her bunny back. Tough lesson to learn, but this is not fun for anyone. Surely, she's going to conk out...she's been at this for 45 minutes now. I remain hidden while peeking into her room, and I noticed her leaning waaayy over the railing at the waist. Okay, now she's trying to reach for the bunny on the floor. Not good. I think to myself, "I'm not going in to get the bunny, but now I'm getting ready to witness my child plunge herself out of the crib. Awesome." She backs down off the railing. Phew. Surely, she's out of steam. I turn to walk out, and THUNK! I race in to find Madeline on the floor, screaming, holding the bunny, and fire mad. Great.

Just go ahead and give me my Mom of the Year plaque. Now, I'm worried about her (I tend to be a little bit of a hypochondriac with all my medical "What ifs"), beating myself up for being so stubborn and not getting her bunny for the third time, checking in on her every 5 or so minutes, and blogging about it to vent. Madeline conked right out after I picked her up to check her out for broken anything and console this angry, overtired child who now seems to be peacefully sleeping with her bunny. Yikes. Thank goodness Daddy's not out of town tonight.

No comments: