Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Rearrangement

I mentioned in Madeline's most recent month day post that she's been fighting her naps and bedtime with fierce temper tantrums. I might also mention here that she's not fighting the crib, but she's fighting the actual sleeping part. What started out as a few temper tantrums over sleep here and there, escalating to a couple of games of "Operation Rescue Bunny Lovey", and finally has turned into a full on battle of wills. Well, we all know when something becomes a battleground with a toddler, something has to change.

So after a hellacious evening of going to bed earlier this week & many rules and routines broken, this Mama turned Handywoman first thing the next morning (like before I took Madeline down for her breakfast first thing in the morning). I somehow managed to find the proper tools among Eric's toolbox, and I took the bottom part out of Madeline's crib in order to put her mattress on the floor within the crib. Can we say NO MORE games of "Operation Rescue Bunny Lovey" even if the lovey gets thrown onto the floor? Can we say no more worrying about Madeline flailing herself out of the crib in anger and breaking a bone or worse?


Then, I had to pull out my big gun --- "What would John Rosemond do?" --- I love his thoughts and many of his strategies although many may disagree with his methods. He is definitely a tough love guy, but the love part is why I like him. His ideas center around the child and what is best for the child. Well, he would not engage in the unwanted behaviors (as I was doing out of fear Madeline would get hurt), re-establish the previous routine that was working so beautifully, & force the temper tantrums to stop by being consistent, patient, and strong. So, we've done just that ---bathtime, read our MANY stories, snuggle, and give our hugs & kisses. Into the bed Madeline goes, lights out, & bedtime is bedtime. Mama walks out. See you in the morning (or post nap), and if the lovey gets thrown out, you will do without and hopefully learn that Mama is no longer playing.

So far so good. Mama's sanity is coming back, and even though sometimes the tantrums make me feel guilty, I am doing this for Madeline's sake. This is best for her in the long run. Her attempts to flail out of the bed have failed, Mama feels secure that her sweet baby is safe even when she's raging mad, & only one episode of bunny outside the bed so far. I haven't claimed a victory yet, but I'm close.

***And, I might add a special thank you to my friends out there in blog-land for writing their own most recent posts on patience and those who've offered words of encouragement (and sympathy) to me.***

No comments: