Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Transitions


The Stewart household is adjusting to a new home, a new area, and Eric's new job. Yes, Eric received a wonderful, challenging promotion back in October, 2009! Eric loves it and seems to really enjoy the new challenges this job presents to him. However, it does require him to travel a lot. We were prepared for this, so we are making the best of it.

Unfortunately, Madeline doesn't quite get it, so she's a little more clingy these days. It may be a case of separation anxiety made worse by the fact that her Daddy is gone all week on some weeks, only a portion of the week on other weeks, and yet on the occasional week, he won't travel overnight at all. I'm sure it's confusing to her. It breaks my heart when I drop her at the gym nursery, a place she previously strolled into as if she ruled the roost, and she clings to me for dear life. I've never seen this child get so upset when I leave her, and I know she calms down shortly after I leave, but it still makes me sad for her. I'm sure it doesn't help that I have been going to both Golds, our old one and the one closer to us.

Speaking of the gym and adjustments to our new area, I'm struggling with the Golds closest to our house (I refer to this one as our 'new Golds'). First and foremost, the ladies that work in the nursery are awesome! They are completely different than the ladies who work at our old Golds, but I can't say enough wonderful things about them. Each Golds has a nursery that I am completely comfortable with Madeline residing there for 2 hours each day, and for that, I am grateful. However, our 'new Golds' just isn't all that great for me. While the cardio equipment is abundant, I don't care for many of the styles of ellipticals and stair climbers they offer. Big boo hiss for me since I do about an hour of cardio each day. The weight room is okay as far as variety, and that has given me the opportunity to change up my weight work-out a little bit. My biggest beef with the weight area is that it's not well kept, and I blame the manager for that. It irks me that a piece of trash was in the same spot for an entire week or weight machines are sweaty-dirty looking ...picky, I know, but EWW. At my 'old Golds', that never would be the case. It just seems silly to drive 20 minutes to my old Gold's when I have access to the one about 8 minutes from our house, but I'm just not sold on my 'new Golds' for more than the just a couple of reasons I've mentioned here. I'll spare you of the laundry list of things I dislike about it. I've yet to abandon my old Golds. I just can't do it right now.

My other big adjustment has been GROCERY shopping. Yikes!! I loathed that rental house we lived in for 6 months, but I became spoiled living about 5 minutes from a lovely, brand new Publix. Now, the closest Publix is about 20 minutes away, and it's ALWAYS packed regardless of what time I go. I just can't shop there. Our closest grocery is a run-down, older Food Lion, and to be honest, it's not terrible for a quick milk, eggs, and paper towel run. However, it's not great for my big shopping. I was just getting my grocery game down to a science, and I was saving good money when we lived in the rental house. (However, I've heard through the grapevine that a brand spankin' new Publix is going in not far from us, and glory be the day that joint opens up! Happy Mama Stewart!) So for now, guess what I do? I make a big morning of it, and I go to the 'old Gold's' and then hit the beloved Publix near our rental house. Yes, I know, silly, but it's a good day when I workout in my familiar gym, and then push my grocery cart around my familiar grocery store.

So, we are in transition. Do we love our new house (pictured at the top) in our new part of town? Absolutely. Is it taking some getting used to living this area? Absolutely. At the end of the day, we know we made the right choices for our family, and it will all be okay with a little time to adjust to Eric's job demands and our new area.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

It's interesting the things you deal with when you move. Things you never really would have thought of or took for granted. You have to do what makes you happy though and 20 minutes in the car (the extra time to go to the old Gold's) is well worth a happy Mama :)
And I hear ya on the grocery store front. I get cart rage every time I hit our Harris Teeter. I could go on and on about how mad I get in there but I won't and will just continue to shop at Publix.