Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, February 12, 2010

Just Another Day at the Office...
is what my reply was to my husband when he arrived home (early!) from work today and asked how our day had been. Please continue reading for your own comic relief and keep in mind this all happened before 12:30 this afternoon...
The day started with the coffee maker overflowing with grounds, water, and coffee everywhere. I think it took me almost an entire roll of paper towels to clean up the mess. Since we set the timer, we have no idea what exactly happened to make this disaster occur. However, it was a disaster for two reasons -- I had a HUGE mess to clean up, & I didn't get my morning cup of joe first thing.

Madeline threw a tantrum-esque fit when it was time to get into the car to go to the gym because I wouldn't let her carry my "delicates" on her arm like a purse. Seriously! I let a lot go because it's not worth the battle, but she is not strolling into the gym with my delicates on her arm acting as her purse! I felt like I didn't need to go workout after wrangling my angry 17 month old into her car seat.

Madeline fussed and whined the entire way home from the gym because it was lunch time. I get it, she was hungry, but patience my dear, patience. And to make matters worse, her juice sippy cup was wedged in her car seat funny, so she could see it but not get it to drink from it.

Then the doozy that requires a little scene set up ~ Madeline was eating her much anticipated lunch, and apparently, she was unhappy about something because she was whining and banging her hands on the table. I was mentally preparing for another freak out fit about something. I checked on her & tried to offer her a fruit and veggie side item in addition to what she already had on her plate. She refused my offer, so I let her be. After all, she was still putting food into her mouth and eating, so I assumed she was just aggravated that she has to eat at the table. She hates being confined to the table to eat her meal.

Meanwhile, I'm at the sink washing up some dishes, and out of the corner of my eye, I see her pick up her plate while she was looking at me. I blinked. She THREW her entire plate of food onto the floor to show me how mad she was for a reason I'm still not sure of! I was fuming, but I took a deep breath before I reacted. I scolded her like she's never heard me scold before. Lots of crying and screaming coming from the wee one as I am cleaning up the mess. Once the mess was cleaned up, she was all hugs for me, so once again, we had another 'talk'. This time, she wouldn't look me in the eye. Perhaps, she really knew I was hot about this one? We moved past the incident, read a few books, and went for a nap.

She was out like a light instantly, and this Mama took the hottest, longest shower to relax. Like I said, just another day at the office!

Disclaimer --- I feel I must say that I love my job and wouldn't trade it for the world. I'm not complaining, but it's been an interesting day to say the least. And, who couldn't love this cute face even if she's letting me know that she has a mind of her own?

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Sorry you had a rough day. If only we could take a personal day from time to time :) Isn't disciplining fun? If we didn't take our parenting class, I am not sure my kids would have made it to 5, 4 and 1 :) I learned so many good tips (for disciplining and surviving!) for days like this one!!