Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Beginning

We have started the process of creating Madeline a "big girl room" in the new house for when that time comes. No, we don't have one on the way that we need the crib/nursery room. :)

My parents are down-sizing, and they have had these twin beds since my oldest brother was moved to a "big boy" bed, so that means these beds are waaaay old. Then, my other older brother came along, and they shared a room. These beds were used as bunk beds. When I came along, the boys had long since gotten larger beds and rooms of their own, so naturally these became my beds as twins. I used these beds as until I moved out of my parents house for good when I received my first teaching job near Charlotte, NC way back in 1998. So, needless to say, they are family, and they are perfect for Madeline.

I've been looking for comforters/duvets since I was pregnant since I knew I was getting these beds for Madeline. I happened to stumble upon these duvet covers, and I really liked them. I wanted Madeline's room to be girly yet not too toddler, so that she could use it for awhile. (My hubby appreciates my practical-ness because it doesn't happen very often.)

It just so happens that these duvets match Madeline's nursery curtain, rocking chair cushion, and all of her wall hangings from her nursery, so I am going to work those things into the new room as well. My decorator/friend of a friend, Jim, has taken the curtain in order to find fabric to have bed skirts made since I didn't like the ones that came with the duvets. (you can see swatches in the picture---Eric and I are sure Jim will be responsible for making this room look fantastic as well as many other rooms in our house.)


For Christmas, my parents had their friend make a "dollhouse" bookcase for this room. It's perfect since Madeline loves to read, and it's a cute, girly way to display books in her room.

There is lots to be done yet, but I love working on this room. It's girly, simple, and fun. I can't wait for the finished product!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I love the duvets!! So cute. And I have to say why wait? Two is twice the fun and well, three? Three is great :) HA!!