Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Potty Training 101, Part I

In true Anne fashion, I picked a date on the calendar and declared, "This will be the day the diapers for Madeline go away!" So, Friday, June 24, 2011, arrived, and we were prepared to start potty training. I read John Rosemond's "Naked & $75" plan carefully as if I were studying for my AP Calculus exam, purchased entirely too many undies, bought a potty, set said potty up in the den, picked a perfect ring tone for the timer on my new fancy phone to pose as the "potty bell", mentally prepared to be on house arrest for a few days, and mustered up as much as enthusiasm as I possibly could, and went for it!

Madeline's new stash of undies. Her only request was pink and purple ones.
Our new best friend, the red potty. It goes where we go for now!

Mama's attempt at finding "around the house" activities to do other than the normal books, dolls, puzzles, etc. to cure cabin fever. Yep, my toes are now that lovely shade of purple per Madeline's request for us to matching toes.

A few "official potty training" shots.

Even while potty training, a girl has got to wear her jewels --- notice she is wearing her necklace & bracelet! :)

Proud Madeline --- such a big girl!

Amelia is a supportive little sis.

We've watched more TV than normal, and Madeline discovered this "My Little Pony" show. She enjoyed dancing to the music.

Potty training does make for some pretty cute "from behind" shots, and this Mama has occupied her down time by playing Solitaire as evidenced above.



I chose to start off this entire process with the suggested potty bell two reasons: I know myself, & I would have a tendency to micromanage the situation, and I wanted Madeline to have ownership in this process. So, I set the timer for 20 minutes and each time it rang, she learned to go to the potty, pull her undies down, and (attempt to) pee. Madeline caught onto the procedure quickly. She loves to dump her product into the big potty & flush. She does everything and is very proud of herself. Our first day was a little rough as I was figuring out her timing, and she had no clue what she was doing, so right off the bat, Madeline had a couple of accidents. (Deep breaths even though I expected them!) Then she was too busy playing to drink and eat enough (as usual), so she was dry for the longest time and seemed to become annoyed that she wasn't making anything in her potty. After an extra salty popcorn snack requiring Madeline to drink LOTS of water, she finally had "Lellow pee in my red potty!!!" She took it to the bathroom, dumped it, and returned the bowl to red the potty. The whole process seemed to click at that point.


The following day, Saturday, was a success in my book having only one accident all day. The potty bell set at 20 or 25 minutes worked for us. Madeline was very proud of herself, and we plunged into Sunday pretty optimistic. Sunday gave a new twist in the game when Madeline decided to test the limits of the potty bell and my patience. She wouldn't immediately go to the potty, and a few accidents occurred which caused me to be more stern with her in explaining not to lolly-gag to the potty. A slight power struggle came into play on Sunday. At this point, I stepped away from the situation by putting Madeline in for a nap in her 'sleeping undies' (Pull- ups). Post nap, we started with fresh undies, a fresh attitude, and an incentive chart with a Ring Pop being the reward (a jewel AND a lollipop all in one!). We've been couped up for three days now which is not good for any of us even though I am sure Amelia is loving her morning nap in her crib! On Monday, we will venture out the gym which will be interesting...stayed tuned for Part II and hopefully PROGRESS!

No comments: