Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Amelia --- 5 Months




OH, sweet Amelia is five months old already! Amelia is growing like a weed, and in fact I introduced cereal to her earlier than planned. She has been so hungry that she will guzzle 8+ ounces at multiple feedings throughout the day, and when that happens, her tummy gets all sorts of gassy, reflux-y, and upset from too much milk (& air from all that guzzling). We've had a few rough weeks due to upset tummy issues, and I suspect that some of her belly issues are a result of all that milk rumbling around. I am just giving her a little cereal at dinnertime to help fill her hungry belly. It's not ideal since she's yet to master the spoon feeding, but I hope to help ease her reflux. We're frequenting the doctor due to all of these tummy issues because I just can't take the crying and screaming ~ there is obviously something wrong. I'm sure Amelia's episodes are nothing compared to colic, but oh my, it's awful, and I'd be lying if there weren't days that I ended up in tears too. It's so pitiful because there's not a whole lot I can do when she's having 'an episode'. I can tell she's in pain, and I try every position in the book to calm her. We've done the Mylicon drops, Gripe Water, & Colic Calm remedies, so now we've moved onto a prescription reflux medication. Poor thing...I pray that this does the trick.





We're working out Amelia's daytime sleep. Her afternoon naps have improved over the last month, and she's going down much better to get some much needed rest in the afternoon. I've settled into a nice routine with her that doesn't interrupt Madeline's nap routine, so I am sure that helps also. Her mornings are still "cat-nappy" since we are at the gym, running errands, and on the go with Madeline, so I am glad that she's able to get a nice, quiet rest in the afternoon. She's much happier in the late afternoons as a result. However, she is like clockwork come five o'clock -- she's ready for "dinner" /cereal & bottle, a bath, and bed by 6:30 PM. She sleeps all night now with very few cry outs. Somedays I have to wake her, but normally she wakes up around 6 AM. If she wakes before 6 AM, she can normally settle herself back down to give us all a little extra sleep.





Amelia has been rolling over to her belly, and she doesn't seem to mind being in that position especially if she has something to entertain her. She's also been spending some time in her exersaucer, and she's loving it! She's "discovered" her feet, and I love how she grabs at them just as if they are newfound toys. So cute! The bouncer seat has been a lifesaver since we spend a great deal of time outside at the swingset. Amelia seems to enjoy her outdoor bouncer seat time just as much as Madeline enjoys her swingset time. Amelia's little smiles, laughs, and noises are just too sweet, and we are so blessed to have this happy little girl in our family!


No comments: