Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, January 12, 2009

Big Girl Nap Part 2

Well, today was the first day of the second week of taking naps in the crib in the afternoon. I'm not sure what happened today -- minor adjustments from last week's experiences, exhaustion from the baptism weekend, new routine settling into her little body, or divine intervention -- but whatever it is, Madeline went down for a nap in her crib at 1:45 and is still sleeping soundly! It's 4:10. I've been able to accomplish so much and feel good that no massive crying it out fits took place in order for this little miracle to happen.

Our first week of the new routine was not really that smooth, but I am a persistent woman, so I was determined not to abandon my plan. I know, or should say that I am learning, that no plan goes off without a hitch especially when you are dealing with babies, and I know that I have to embed this new routine into Madeline's day so that it becomes the "new normal" for her. I am also repeating the phrase "slow and steady wins the race" in my head.

Last week, a couple of days were okay -- she slept 45 minutes to an hour of the allotted naptime in her crib and spent the rest of the time fighting the sleep and playing/talking. Thursday was especially AWFUL, and it was a test of wills. I, of course, was victorious, but I applaud Madeline's efforts. However, Madeline was somewhat victorious that day because she didn't take a sleeping nap, but she was in her crib for the 2 hour time period. (I must note here that she did NOT scream for 2 hours -- mostly she played, talked, and wiggled herself awake if she drifted off to sleep. There was one 20 minute episode of crying it out where I think she must've decided to abandon that plan since it clearly did not get her the attention she desired.) I must mention two things about this particularly awful day: 1. This Mommy did have to go stand in the front yard for about 15 minutes to escape the very angry baby noises coming from the crib. 2. Madeline went to bed at 6:30 PM that evening.

Despite the rocky start to this new routine/plan, I hunkered down and put the plan into action today. So for today, I am lucky to have the time to get some things checked off the "to do list", and I feel optimistic that my goals are not unattainable. Tomorrow is a new day, and it could be a repeat of last Thursday, but she has shown me that she can take a big girl nap!

No comments: