Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Validated Mommy

Well, after about 6 weeks, I feel success as a stay at home mommy and wife! I have finally gotten it together, and let's hope that I don't jinx myself with this post.

Madeline seems to have gotten her days and nights back in order, and while she is still waking around 3 or 3:30 AM for a feeding, her schedule is finally falling into place. Everyone kept telling me that if I stuck with a consistent schedule, she would eventually get it, and they were right. Most of the time, she is like clockwork, and I can actually complete chores around the house, run errands, and schedule times to visit with friends with some confidence that Madeline will be doing/needing the appropriate thing at the "scheduled time." Now that's not to say that she doesn't have her days when she seems "off" and out of sorts, but she is human, and don't we all have those days?

Looking at her in her bassinet now versus when we first brought her home is so wild to realize how little she was just 6 short weeks ago. From earlier posts, we all know that Madeline is not the best sleeper in the world (Although that is improving--her "cry it out" times are much shorter now, so hopefully soon we will not have anymore "cry it out" moments when it's time for naps or bed!), and very soon she will outgrow her bassinet. So in true "Anne fashion", I decided that I would start having her take her afternoon naps in her big girl crib, so she can get used to her new surroundings. I figured this would be best since she is just now getting used to being put down in her bassinet, and very soon that won't be her normal sleeping place. Who knows if it really makes a difference, but it makes me feel better about it. Once again, she looks so tiny in such a big crib! The other day she had a wonderful hour and a half nap in her new sleeping place.


While I am married to the most hard working, kindest, incredibly understanding, and most helpful man in the world, I put a lot of pressure on myself to make sure that I was living up to the expectations of a stay at home wife and mom. (Whoever says staying at home is so easy, is CRAZY. ) Now who set these expectations for me? Well, I did, of course, and where did I get these expectations for myself? My mom. My mom was a stay at home mom and looking back at all the things she was able to accomplish in a day with three children at home gave me a sense of what I felt I should be able to do with only one child at home. Again in true "Anne fashion", I attempted to tackle all chores, errands, etc. all at once feeling bad if I didn't accomplish my list in each day. Not only did I put Madeline on a schedule, but I made myself a weekly schedule. Cleaning, errands/grocery, laundry, etc. all have a scheduled day of the week. (Yes, I am a bit OCD and anal retentive. Luckily my husband balances me out!) Thank goodness my understanding husband did not care if I didn't make it to the grocery store on the "right day", and we were having leftovers for dinner instead of my planned meal. But, I, of course, felt bad. Well, this week, I have finally fulfilled my expectations of myself! I managed to complete all the things that I wanted to complete on any given day, and my dear, sweet husband has had dinner on the table every night for the last couple of weeks, and even some of the new recipes that I've tagged in my cookbooks were keepers. (I always told him that my cooking genes were lying dormant, but those abilities were indeed there!)

So as I sit here in a quiet, clean, and orderly house and reflect over the past two weeks, I am feeling like I am fitting into my new job rather well. (There were moments when I wondered if it would come together and what on earth were we thinking when we agreed that I would stay home.) As with most jobs, on the job training is the best way to learn, and it takes a few weeks to get adjusted. (I should know that. I am a former teacher, and when do you REALLY learn how to teach and conduct classroom management? Your first year when you have your very own class!) I feel like I'm there--that is until next week when I can take Madeline to the Gold's Gym kids care, and a whole new element will be added to the daily routine--my work out! But for now, I'm just going to enjoy my feelings of success because I am one lucky girl to be able to stay home to be with our daughter all day! I wouldn't trade my new job for anything!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I am glad you have it all figured out - now you can come over and teach me :)