Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Last Forty Four Weeks

Forty four weeks sounds like a long time, huh? A lot can happen in forty four weeks, and the last forty four weeks of my life have been a whirlwind. I found out I was pregnant, experienced the ups and downs of pregnancy, finished up my tenth year of teaching fifth grade, resigned from my teaching position to become a full time mommy, and had a baby girl!


I have to say my pregnancy was nothing like I thought it was going to be. I have nothing to compare it to since this was my first, but I think I had it pretty easy. I didn't need real maternity clothes until I was six months along, and I was able to work out at the gym until the day I delivered (literally!). Yes, I was that crazy pregnant girl in the gym everyday doing cardio and pushing weights around. The staff and many of the other gym rat regulars became increasingly nervous the bigger my belly grew saying things like, "Are you sure you won't go into labor doing that?" It was amusing I have to say. And, yes, I was that crazy pregnant girl that was having contractions but decided that "one last workout" would make me feel better. Later that day, I went into the hospital, and 10 hours later, I had my sweet baby in my arms.

On Sunday, August 17, 2008 at 1:13 pm my life changed forever. I gave birth to a beautful baby girl named Madeline Grace (7 lbs. 1 oz and 20.5 in.) after only 45 minutes of pushing. Again, I have nothing to compare this labor and delivery to, but I feel like 45 minutes of pushing is not too bad for a rookie who blew off taking any kind of labor and delivery classes. And, once again, I was that crazy pregnant lady who asked the nurse, "Exactly how do I push?" when it was time.




The last four weeks have been the most exhausting of them all, but at the same time, they have been the most wonderful of them all. Madeline is such a sweet natured baby, and probably like most newborns, she only gets really upset when she's tired, hungry, or wet. However, she is starting to fight sleep at night when her little eyelids want to shut, and I think it's simply because she doesn't want to be alone in her bassinet. She loves to snuggle in your arms and fall asleep that way, but I don't plan to encourage that behavior so much that it becomes a nightly routine. After I've checked to make sure nothing else could be wrong with her, my husband and I have to just let her cry and soothe herself. I can already see how hard it is to want to give in at the moment, but I know in the long run, we will all be happier and more well rested. I feel so blessed to have this little life in my care, but at the same time, I feel such an awesome sense of responsibility to raise her to be a well mannered, independent, productive citizen. I can't wait to watch her personality develop, and I can only hope the decisions I make as a parent enhance her personality.

I can't believe how much Madeline's already changed in just four short weeks. She's outgrown the newborn diapers and her newborn clothes. She can even fit into some of those little snazzy slippers that are so impractical but adorable! (see picture below) She's much more alert during waketimes and seems to be able to focus on objects more clearly. She actually notices the mobile above her when she sits in her swing. The other day she shifted her eyes in my direction when I was talking to her and lifts her head up when I'm burping her on my shoulder. I'm trying to soak up every minute because I know how time flies and before I know it, I'll be posting about her first day of school!

I haven't mentioned much about her daddy, but I think this picture says it all! I think it's safe to say that she's a daddy's girl!


I have no idea what lies ahead for the Stewart family, but I know our adventures as a family of three has only just begun.



1 comment:

Les said...

Congrats Anne! I am so glad you're online now and I can read about what you and your family are up to!!