Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, February 06, 2009

Green Beans!

That's right, Madeline had a tasty dinner of rice cereal, green beans, and a few ounces of milk for dinner last night. She's been eating rice cereal for almost 2 months now, and she's about a week shy from being six months old, so I figured I would test the waters with a veggie. And, yes, I'm the mean mommy who started with the GREEN veggies instead of carrots or sweet potatoes or squash. In the end it may not make much of a difference whether I started with green veggies or the sweeter veggies, but I want my girl to love the greens as much as I do!

I was feeding her the cereal as normal, and she was grubbing down as normal. I put about a tablespoon and a half of the green bean in the bowl too. I slipped a little green bean taste on the spoon with a normal bite of cereal. She made the following face -- she knew something was different, but I'm not sure she disliked it. So I continued to slip a little bite of green bean on the spoon with the cereal for a few more bites, and she made funny faces, but she continued to eat as normal.

Then, I went for the gusto -- a full spoon of green bean! And, she definitely knew something was different as she made this face:
So, all in all, the green bean fiesta went well. She didn't gag, spit it out, or refuse to eat it. Keep in mind, I maybe gave her a total of one and a half tablespoons of the veggie, so it wasn't that much. I also didn't want to upset her belly. I know the greens can be a little harder on the belly, so I didn't expect her to eat a bunch. Like I said, I just wanted to test the waters with veggies -- Madeline is such a good eater and doesn't seem to be picky (she'll take her rice cereal however she can get it--runny, thick, warm, cold), so I was dying to know how she'd react to veggies. For now, we'll stick with the green beans a tiny portion at a time so she can get used to her new mealtime addition.

I so very much enjoy going through all these milestones with Madeline. How lucky am I that I get to introduce what the world has to offer to this sweet little girl?!

No comments: