Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Saturday, January 05, 2013

Phone Dump (serious) & More (not as serious)

I was going through our phone pictures and came across these little gems.  I'm not sure words can explain them, but I am going to try to do so.  I'm a little nostalgic looking at my mini Grandma Folz (Madeline Grace), so the explanation is probably way too wordy, but here goes: 
 
My Mom's Mom, "Grandma Folz" to my brothers and I, had cancer many years ago (not long before I was married and had children), and she passed away many Thanksgivings ago.  I will never forget that Thanksgiving meal when my Mom got "the call" from her sister.  But, anyway.  Bless Grandma's heart - she was girly, smelled good, always had a proper manicure, never without her earrings and necklace, cooked THE.BEST.FOOD., and always had a hot meal/delicious snack waiting regardless of the time of day.  My cooking skills may have been dormant for MANY, MANY years, but when they emerged, I thank my Grandma Folz every.single.time. I can pull off a recipe or a meal thanks to my Grandma Folz's instincts!  That lady could flat out cook.  At any rate, I absolutely get my girly girlness from my sweet Grandma Folz.  That woman NEVER went without her once a week hair salon (even when she was sick) appointment, way too rosy pink "blusher"(as she called it),  her red lipstick, and her perfectly manicured nails.  Think Leave It to Beaver (June) - that was my Grandma Folz.  Of course, when she had cancer and received chemotherapy, her hair loss journey began.  She wore a wig that exactly copied her "real do". 
Now, to the point of the pictures: My mother has given my Grandma's costume jewels, furs, make-up basket, wigs (yes, a little weird to me too!), and various other items for Madeline's dress up trunk.  Madeline donned my Grandma's wig out of the blue one day.  Holy Moly.  It's a young Leona Folz (my Grandma), and even more so, a young Carol McCarthy (my Mom) which probably means
 
THIS is ME when I decide to try on a wedding dress over my frog jammas with grey hair:   
 

 
WOW!  I'm so thankful I truly knew the lady that my daughter resembles so closely in so many regards (Grandma Folz), and I'm even more thankful that the other lady Madeline takes after is here with us to be such an important part of Madeline's upbringing, my Mom, otherwise known as just plain 'ol Grandma.
 
More Phone Dump
that is not so serious :) 
 
On a lighter note, Amelia is 100% attached to this Minnie Mouse.  Amelia LOVES to wear socks on her hands now because Minnie has white gloves on her hands.  Oh my gracious.
 
Sisterly love in the midst of Amelia's black eye healing process.  Now you see why we decided upon the "Happy New Year" card.  That little shiner got worse before it got better...oh my.

Shiner and Big Sister are still cute as EVER!

No comments: