Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, June 19, 2009

Five Years

Eric and I have been married five years today. It's been a wonderful five years, I must say. Although we've had our share of "growing pains" with moving, new jobs, and a baby, I can't imagine spending these last five years any differently than with this cute, blondish, blue eyed fella that kept winking at me from afar at the Gold's Gym in Charlotte. Who knew on that first date with the "boy from the gym" we'd start something incredible? Not long after that date, I told my mom on the phone, "I think this is the one. I think this is the boy I am going to marry." Meeting my parents and two older brothers just sealed the deal --- Eric fit into my family as if he'd lived next door to us our entire lives. He truly became a part of my family the second he walked through my parent's front door. A very good friend of ours told me recently that Eric and I were the relationship role model for her and her husband. I took that as the highest compliment to us and our marriage. I've been thinking about that a lot lately as our anniversary approached. Eric and I just compliment each other so well to create a balance that we both need --- I'm high strung & he's laid back; he's messy and disorganized & I'm a neat freak who thinks organizing a closet on a rainy day is fun; I'm frivolous with money & he's conservative with money; he thinks camping in a tent on the side of a mountain is fun & I think staying in an all inclusive resort is more like it; he burns to a crisp on the beach & I turn golden brown after a day at the beach; I find running to be exhilarating and stress relieving & he runs only if a wild bear was chasing him; and he's Fun Daddy while I am Serious Mommy. As I think about our personalities and how opposite we are in so many ways, I giggle because I could go on forever with this list.

But in the end, we are completely, 100% on the same page about one thing --- how much we love each other, our life, & our family that we've created together. As different as we are, we are alike in so many ways from watching college football on a Saturday to drinking wine with great conversation to our dreams for our family & children. That is why what we have works, and we continue to nurture our relationship as our life changes. We can't control many of the things around us, but we have control of us. We work at making us so great, and maybe that's why we are the relationship role model to our friend. The last five years have been nothing short of fun, trying, exciting, and fabulous.

Happy Five Year Anniversary to my best friend and the love of my life!

1 comment:

Les said...

Congratulations Anne! What a sweet and endearing note about your marriage. Congratulations on a wonderful milestone! :)